In this example we are showcasing how to modernize an existing Oracle Forms application (Summit) by rebuilding it using the combination of Oracle APEX and the FOEX Plugin Framework.
Summit is a basic Oracle Forms application which allows you to browse through a list of customers sorted by country. Additionally, you see each customer's info and view details about the orders & products sold.
The application allows you to navigate through and update the existing data about an order, customer or product, add new data (such as info about a new product), display each product's summary, sales & stock values, images and popup dialogs.
The Summit application built in Oracle Forms (click to see full size)
An improved version of the Summit application has been built using the FOEX Plugin Framework. While some enhancements have been added, the application’s behavior and purpose has been kept the same.
1. Browse through the list of customers sorted by country (by default Brazil is selected). See how the other regions on the page refresh their data.
2. Look at top region of the screen (Customers) and notice the white space which could be hidden. Click & Drag the lower part of that region to resize it and see how the 2 regions below get automatically resized as well. It allows you to display more info on screen.
3. Click on any of the bars within the chart and see the info about which orders have been placed and fulfilled in that specific month. You can update several fields by clicking on the row you want to edit. Remember to press the Save Changes button to update the info.
1. This screen allows you to check the existing products’ info or add/delete new products. As you browse through the list of products on the left, you’ll see the detailed product info on the right side of the screen.
2. The product image can’t be seen in full initially. Hide the lower region (Inventory) using the arrow button on the top right side of the region.
3. To edit a product, change the information displayed in the Edit Product region and click the Save Changes button.
4. To add a new product follow these steps:
a. Click the Reset button
b. Add your new product’s info
c. Click the Upload button and select an image (PNG or JPG)
d. Click the Create button
1. You can resize or hide any region by clicking (or using drag & drop on) the horizontal line at the bottom of each region
2. The bar chart (Sales by Month) updates the info on all other regions. To refresh the chart & all regions, click on the Reset Selection button
3. In the lower left region (Sales Ranking by Rep) you can rank the sales reps by Revenue, Commission value or Commission %
4. The second bar chart (Sales by Country) further drives the 2 regions below it. Try to select that bar for USA and then the one for Brazil. Which country prefers credit over cash more?
1. The top region is an editable grid containing row validation.
a. To trigger an error message, delete the first name of a salesman and then click the Save button
b. Add a new first name and click Save to successfully edit a row’s information
c. To trigger an error message, change to value in the Commission % column to something other than: 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5 or 20
d. Click Save, then hover your mouse over the cell to read the tooltip
2. The top region drives the other 2 charts, so clicking on any of the sales reps with recorded sales revenue will update the charts
3. For the sales reps which don’t have any sales revenue
a. Go to the Customers tab
b. In the Orders region assign one of the orders to a new sales rep and click Save
c. Refresh the Sales Rep tab and scroll the list to see the updates sales info
Check the FOEX Reference Documentation to learn more about each of our components, or use the FOEX Example/Cookbook to see live demos for each of our plugins.